Sunday 7 August 2011

Introduction to Photo Phrustrations

I am a photographer. I'm not a professional, probably somewhat through lack of talent, but mostly through choice ... I don't think I'd enjoy it. Photographers are often poorly paid, and poorly respected: I like to be both well paid and well respected! However, I take a lot of photographs, and people have asked me to do "professional" jobs before -- photograph music festivals, photograph school visits, photograph weddings -- so I have some experience of photography.

Photography is continually very frustrating to me, though. There's probably not a day that goes by when I'm taking photos when I'm not thinking "Arggg, I wish I could have done that better. I wish this picture was better exposed. I wish this picture was sharper. If only I'd crouched down lower. If only I'd given the subject more space in the photo. If only I'd brought my tripod." I'm frustrated with myself, with my equipment, with the weather, with missed opportunities, with lack of post-processing skills. And I guess plenty of you are too. So perhaps we can pool our knowledge so that by sharing tips and tricks, or even just our moans, we can get more enjoyment out of our photography by discussing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment